The Town of Binghamton is located in south-central Broome County. The northern portion of the town includes the confluence of the Susquehanna and Chenango Rivers and the City of Binghamton. In 1786 William Bingham bought more than 32,000 acres of land in this area, including the location of the present day city. Also included was land identified as the Town of Chenango. The Town was divided in 1855, effectively creating the Town of Binghamton. The Town was further reduced in size to its present boundaries in 1890. The Town of Binghamton has transitioned from dense forest land, to dairy farming, to a residential community with easy access to nearby urban centers. South of the Susquehanna River to the state border with Pennsylvania, the landscape is characterized by small hills with wooded hilltops and open land along the historic roadways. Agritourism resources continue to have a strong presence in the town today.