The Village of Whitney Point is the primary settlement within the Town of Triangle. Its name derives from the confluence of the Tioughnioga and Otselic Rivers, which form a point of land on which the village is situated. The village was originally called Paterson Point, and was renamed Whitneys Point in 1824. It incorporated in 1871 and its name was changed to Whitney Point in the 1940s.
Whitney Point suffered two major disasters: a fire in 1897 that destroyed much of the Main Street business district and the Flood of 1935. The flood led to the construction of the Whitney Point Dam and Reservoir and a protective dike around the village. The rebuilt business district survives largely intact, with many distinctive Queen Anne, Second Empire, and Italianate buildings from the late 1800s and early 1900s.